Uninsured Services and Block Fees
Physicians at Magenta Health are committed to helping patients with all of their health care needs. The Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) covers most aspects of your care; however, some medical and administrative services are not covered by OHIP and require separate payment. The typical cost of such services are enumerated below and are set in line with the guidelines set by the Ontario Medical Association (OMA) and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO).
To reduce administrative overhead and provide a potential cost saving advantage to patients, Magenta Health physicians also provide patients with the option of subscribing to an annual “block fee”. Patients who subscribe will receive the services covered by the block fee at no additional cost. Patients who do not subscribe will be asked to pay for uninsured services each time they are provided.
Typical block fee rates are:
$250/year for families of two adults and up to 4 dependents
$125/year for each patient age 18 and up
$85/year for each patient under age 18
These rates may vary somewhat from physician to physician.
What is Covered by the Block Fee?
The following uninsured services are covered by the block fee:
Uninsured Service / Typical Per-Service Charge ($)
- Electronic communication with your physician
- Prescription Renewal (without coming in for an appointment) ― 20.00
- Uninsured Vaccine (other than travel advice) - 15.00
- Sick Note ― 20.00
- Back to Work, School or Daycare Note ― 20.00
- Camp, Daycare or School Form ― 30.00
- Short-term Disability Form ― 60.00
- Electronic or Fax Transmission of Medical Records ― 35.00 (for first 20 pages, rates increase for more pages)
- Children’s Aid Society (CAS) Application Form for Prospective Foster Parent ― 54.00
- Death Certificate for Life Insurance ― 50.00
- Revenue Canada, Federal Disability Tax Credit Form ― 50.00
- Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Disability Medical Report Form ― 85.00
- Medical Certificate for Employment Insurance Compassionate Care, Parental, or Sickness Benefits (INS5216B, INS5168, or INS5140) ― 30.00
- Fitness Club Form ― 40.00
- Immunization Records Replacement or Summary ― 20.00
- Lost Referrals or Prescriptions ― 20.00
- Pre-employment Certificate of Fitness ― 50.00
- Travel Cancellation Form ― 40.00
- Volunteer Form ― 27.00
- Weight Loss Commercial Program Form ― 35.00
What isn't Covered by the Block Fee?
Any uninsured services not listed in the table above are not covered by the block fee. Common examples include:
Uninsured Service / TYPICAL Per-Service Charge ($)
- Appointment Without Valid OHIP Coverage ― 40.00-150.00
- Disability Report/Insurance Form (including long-term disability form, #OCF-3, #OCF-18 and #OCF-19 certificates) ― OMA rates, 140.00+
- Driver’s Medical Examination Form (without physical exam/with physical exam) ― 56.05/150.00
- Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Narrative Medical Report ― $185.00
- Legal Reports ― OMA rates
- Letter at Patient's Request ― OMA rates
- Liquid Nitrogen Treatment of Benign Skin Lesions & Warts not covered by OHIP ― 35.00-50.00/visit
- Appointments missed or cancelled/rescheduled less than 12 hours in advance ― 40.00/80.00
- Pap Tests (when done earlier than OHIP-covered/recommended frequency) ― 115.00 (+lab fee)
- Private Insurance Form (including Life Insurance, Health Insurance and APS forms) ― OMA rates , 250.00+
- TB Skin Test (1-step/2-step) ― 35.00/50.00
- Third-party Physical Examination ― 175.00
- Travel Advice ― 65.00+
For all of the above uninsured service charges, HST will be charged if applicable.
How to Pay for Individual Uninsured Services and/or Block Fee
For block fees and individual third-party charges, we will send you an invoice by email with instructions on how to complete payment online with a credit card. If you prefer to not pay online with a credit card, kindly drop-off or mail us a cheque that clearly indicates the corresponding invoice number(s). Cheques should be made out to the doctor or medical professional corporation listed on the invoice.
Please note that we will not be accepting payments by debit or cash, or credit card in person.
How to Subscribe and Unsubscribe to the Block Fee
If you wish to subscribe to the block fee, please complete the form here and you will be sent an annual invoice automatically.
To unsubscribe, please contact us to let us know.
Refunds on block fee subscriptions are offered up to 60 days after activation or renewal of the subscription. Please note that if you received any uninsured services during this period and subsequently cancel your subscription, that we will invoice you for such services.
No refunds are available on charges for individual services once provided.